Uplifting The Rural Telecommunication Standards [Video]
In accordance with the theme of “World Telecom Day”, on May 17th, 2011, we did a detailed article on how Universal Service Fund has been able to pick up the lives of rural communities by enabling them with latest telecommunication and internet services.
Just to recall few stats from the article:
- As of today, Telecom operators (GSM and WLL), with the help of USF, have deployed basic telephony services in more than 3,500 villages
- Telecom companies have installed a total of 334 cell phone towers in the mist difficult areas, with USF subsidy.
- As of today USF has successfully enabled more than 238 towns and small cities with broadband internet access.
- With more than 200,000 broadband connections in these 238 towns, USF share over 20 percent of total broadband base.
- Till to date, with the help of USF, telecom operators have laid over 3,000 kilometers of optic fiber cable while connecting 33 tehsils and 32 towns in Sindh and Baluchistan.
- USF has so far provided broadband internet to more than 792 schools, colleges and libraries, where previously there was no internet availability.
On the same day, in an event organized in Islamabad to celebrate the Telecom Day, USF showcased a documentary that details the difference it has made to the lives of those living in previously un-served areas.
Check below the video, which marks as a pride for our nation and an example for the region: